fade to black

Thursday, May 18, 2006

to the god damn best softball team.

its been a great season. great team. great people. speak for itself.

-----------------------------

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from swinging. - Babe Ruth

The greatest feeling in the world is to win a major league game. The second-greatest feeling is to lose a major league game. ~Chuck Tanner, quoted in The Sporting News, 15 July 1985

"How can a you hit and think at the same time? - Yogi Berra

I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can." - Babe Ruth

There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare. ~Tallulah Bankhead

Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing. ~Warren Spahn

A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings. ~Earl Wilson

Baseball was made for kids, and grown-ups only screw it up. ~Bob Lemon

I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby

I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile. ~Tom Clark

During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

It ain't like football. You can't make up no trick plays. ~Yogi Berra

A baseball park is the one place where a man's wife doesn't mind his getting excited over somebody else's curves. ~Brendan Francis

I don't know why people like the home run so much. A home run is over as soon as it starts.... The triple is the most exciting play of the game. A triple is like meeting a woman who excites you, spending the evening talking and getting more excited, then taking her home. It drags on and on. You're never sure how it's going to turn out. ~George Foster, 1978

Don't forget to swing hard, in case you hit the ball. ~Woodie Held

Well, boys, it's a round ball and a round bat and you got to hit the ball square. ~Joe Schultz, 1969

Spread the diaper in the position of the diamond with you at bat. Then fold second base down to home and set the baby on the pitcher's mound. Put first base and third together, bring up home plate and pin the three together. Of course, in case of rain, you gotta call the game and start all over again. ~Jimmy Piersal, on how to diaper a baby, 1968

Baseball is the only game left for people. To play basketball, you have to be 7 feet 6 inches. To play football, you have to be the same width. ~Bill Veeck, 1975

"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." - Yogi Berra


"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."